Monday, August 9, 2010

The Art of Being Rejected

Rejection. It happens to everyone. I've come to know it especially well during my time in Hollywood. When I started sending out query letters for "Becoming Magdalene" I joked that while finding an agent would be difficult, I wouldn't let it get to me. After all, I'd already been rejected by every possible thing that can reject you: schools, jobs, family, friends, men, credit cards, insurance companies...and so on.

So far, I've stuck to my resolve. The rejections are coming in, but I'm not letting them get to me. Hey, I know it's not personal. I reject people all the time in my work.

However, the last couple of letters I've received have caused me to throw my hands up (and not in the cheery Miley Cyrus way). Lots of agencies don't accept email queries (totally understandable. It shows you're a serious writer and helps weed out the potential crazies). However, it costs money to send out hard copy letters. Two stamps, at least, one for your letter and one for your SASE. That may not seem like a lot at first, but it adds up. While being rejected by these companies doesn't sting, it does hurt a little to receive a form rejection letter than doesn't even include your name.

My favourite rejection came today. It was slightly smaller than an index card and was addressed to "Dear Author." I understand that my work wasn't right for them, but I wouldn't have minded something that indicated that they actually read my letter. Like, you know, my name. Or the name of the agent that I queried. Something like that. Oh, well. That's 88 cents I'm not getting back. At least I know that they're not feeling me right now.

*sigh* Well, I'm off to send more query letters. Fingers crossed that someone cares enough to ask for a sample letter (or at least sign the rejection in ink)!

No comments: