Monday, January 31, 2011

Not with a Whisper, but with a Shout

I'm not what you would call a religious person. I suppose I'd probably be spiritual, at best, but the idea of God raises a lot of questions for me.

But sometimes there are signs. And I think I've received a few this week.

I've been stalled on my WIP. It's like it ran out of gas. I've tried to work around it, writing other projects, considering scenes from other points of view, etc. Unfortunately, nothing has really jarred my imagination. You know what finally got me moving?

Rejection.

Yup, you read that right. This week I have received 2 rejection letters for my novel BECOMING MAGDALENE, from agents that I queried nearly six months ago. It sparked something inside me. Some little voice said "Oh, hey, remember this! It's called being a writer. You TOTALLY do this!"

And, you know what? I totally do.

Sometimes the best motivation is someone telling you "no."

1 comment:

Shari said...

Hey Elizabeth - glad to hear your wheels started rolling again. A good writer friend of mine told me that people had to get hungry in his stories when he had a block. If he started describing cooking, or a meal, other things started going to. Just an idea, although sounds like you have your own bag of tricks to work through. Keep up the good work!